We sadly miss Belle Wirakoon who dominated table tennis in the 1970’s. I just started playing table tennis during that time when I met this humble lady who was having strength and fighting spirit.
She had a very good character and was able to face victory as well as defeat equally. At that time I was so glad not to meet her in the draw as I was not good enough to play against choppers.
Belle was the best defensive women’s player at that time. Preeth Swaris was the only player who could dominate against her easily. I have lost to Belle almost all the occasions I met her in the singles event.
I’ve learnt a lot from her especially how to play against a defensive player. I think many women players gained a lot of experience through her.
We all sadly miss her and may her soul rest in peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment